Renowned for its nutritional virtues, the Mediterranean diet is based on high consumption of fresh and dried fruits and vegetables accompanied with aromatic plants and condiments, bread and cereals, olives, dairy products, but especially olive oil.
Being the main source of fat in the Mediterranean diet, olive oil is distinguished from other vegetable oils for its high content of oleic acid, as well as for being rich in polyphenols, which gives it its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
As a Mediterranean cuisine, Moroccan gastronomy is an integral part of the Mediterranean culinary heritage, where ethnic varieties & regional specialties are the essences of the cooking.
Salmon with Warm Tomato-Olive Salad ||RECIPE COURTESY OF FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN|/| ||From: Food Network Magazine|/|
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 4 6-ounce salmon fillets (about 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 2 medium beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup sliced celery (inner stalks with leaves)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- Preheat the broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil and lightly brush with olive oil.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, the honey, the red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Put the salmon, skin-side down, on the prepared pan and brush the tops and sides with the honey glaze.
- Broil until golden brown and just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the garlic on a cutting board and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt, then mash into a paste with the flat side of a large knife.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar, the olives and garlic paste in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until bubbling, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the tomatoes, celery and mint.
- Season with salt and toss to combine.
- Serve with the salmon.
Oven-roasted curry cauliflower ||Source : www.papillesetpupilles.fr|/|
- 1 cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons olive oil + 1 tablespoon for the baking tray
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Remove the leaves and large ribs from the cauliflower. Dig a little bit the heart to remove the part that could be slightly bitter. But leave your whole cauliflower well. Rinse it under cold water, drain and cut it into slices about 1/2 cm thick.
- Lightly add oil on a baking tray, place the cauliflower slices on it, and brush them on both sides with the scented oil mix.
Mediterranean Shrimp Linguine ||Source : coup de pouce|/|
- 16 oz linguine
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black olive
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 7 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and return them to the pan.
- Add basil pesto to the pasta. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add shrimp and salt and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink.
- Add artichoke hearts, black olives, and toasted pine nuts.
- Add to pasta and mix well.
Oil and garlic spaghetti ||Source : www.selection.ca|/| ||By Bonnie Stern|/|
- 75 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 75 ml breadcrumbs
- 4 finely-chopped garlic cloves
- 1 ml hot red pepper flakes
- 45 ml fresh and chopped parsley
- 375 gr spaghetti
- 5 ml salt
- 1 ml pepper
- Pour 25 ml olive oil into a large deep-frying pan and heat.
- Add the breadcrumbs and stir constantly until it becomes slightly golden.
- Set aside in a bowl and wipe the bottom of the pan with a paper towel.
- Pour the remaining oil into the pan, along with the garlic and the chili flakes.
- Cook over low heat until the garlic smells and is tender, without browning it.
- Add half the parsley and remove the pan from the heat. If you have browned the garlic, add 50 ml (¼ cup) of water to the mixture.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, until tender (about 10 to 12 minutes).
- While the pasta cooks, add ½ cup (125 ml) of the cooking water to the garlic mixture and keep it boiling for 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the garlic sauce in the pan. Stir gently until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the breadcrumbs and the rest of the parsley.
- Add salt and pepper for taste.
Grilled steak with an express marinade ||Source : Ptitchef.com|/|
- 4 beef steaks (flank steak for example)
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of Provence herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Place the meat in a deep dish and put the olive oil and herbs on it.
- Cover each side of the steaks with the oil and herbs, massaging with your fingertips.
- Add salt and pepper, then refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat a frying pan (or barbecue/plancha, if the weather is right!), then when the surface is hot place the steaks on it.
- Cook according to taste.
- Enjoy hot!
Easy baked fish with garlic and basil ||Source : Themediterraneandish.com|/|
- 2 lb. fish fillet like halibut
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 10 minced garlic cloves
- 15 basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bell peppers any color, sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- Pat the fish fillet dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the fish in a large zip-top bag. Add the oregano, coriander, paprika, minced garlic, basil, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Zip the bag shut and massage to be sure the fish is evenly coated in the marinade.
- Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Arrange bell peppers and shallots in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place the fish on top and pour the marinade over it.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until fish is done and flakes easily.